Parenting is not as easy as it seems to be and is a full-time job. In fact, most parents have sleepless nights as they have to look after their kids 24×7. But all this does not matter because parenting in itself is a blessing! Due to the current global pandemic, the schools are shut and parents are struggling with various means and hacks to keep their children busy while being at home. Thus to make life a bit easier for parents, this article by the Best Boarding School in Dehradun talks about the top 10 creative and simple parenting hacks that are definitely going to help you out.
1. Spend more time and communicate with your kids: Healthy parenting makes a great impact on children. First and foremost thing that the Dehradun Boarding School suggests is to spend more time with your children. From having meals together to playing and learning together, every minute that you spend with your child matters a lot. Listening to your child and having a one to one conversation with them is very necessary. By keeping an open line of communication, you’ll have a better relationship with your child and your child will open about his/her problems with you.
2. Encourage creativity and experimentation: Children make better use of their creative skills than adults, so take advantage of that. Engage and allow them to make the best use of their skills by doing any creative project. Give them the right tools that they need to create and let their imagination do the rest of the work. Let them experiment in the kitchen, allow them to do artwork, and explore the limited world around them. While children need to spend some time in reality, one of the best things is the freedom to experiment which is encouraged at the sports boarding schools in Dehradun.
3. Ask your child to help in household chores: Parents must engage their child in various household chores in order to channelise their energy into something productive. Of course the same can be executed considering the age. Among various chores, some common ones could be to keep their clothes in wardrobes, cleaning their bookshelf, engaging in some basic cooking skills among others.
4. Be a good role model: It’s very important that a parent shows their child what to do rather than just ask him/her to do it themselves. Showing your child the positive behaviour and attitude along with having empathy towards their emotion allows your child to develop those same principles. Here’s when parents play a key role; by being a good role model for their children just like the teachers at the Best Boarding School in Dehradun do.
5. Praise them for their smallest of achievements: When children are praised for their hard work, discipline or manners; it makes them feel good about themselves and they really feel proud of such achievements. Using harsh and impolite words like ‘Stupid’ or ‘Liar’ creates a negative impact on a child’s mind and affect their perceptions about themselves later in life. Parents must be gentle and polite with their words.
6. Be consistent with discipline: Rules are important when raising a child, but it’s more important to stay consistent when imposing these rules. Sometimes, it may be a good idea to discuss with them about the misbehaviour conducted by your child and work out a punishment together. The Dehradun Boarding School suggests that it’s important to keep the lines of communication open even while you discipline them.
7. Encourage your child’s independence: Setting boundaries helps your child develop a sense of self-control. Encouraging independence like the sports boarding schools in Dehradun helps the child to develop a sense of self-direction. To be successful in life, your child is going to need both. A lot of parents mistakenly relate their child’s independence with rebelliousness or misbehaviour. Children urge for freedom because it is a human tendency to want to feel in control rather than to feel controlled.
8. Treat your child with respect: The best way to get respectful treatment from your child is to treat him/her with respect. To flourish healthy parenting, parents must give their child the same courtesies that they would give to anyone else. Speaking to your child politely and with respect will show your upbringing. It’s in the nature of a child to treat others the same way their parents treat them. A relationship of a child with his/her parents is the foundation for all other relationships.
9. Too much love is also harmful: Too much parental love also spoils a child. What we often consider as an outcome of spoiling a child is never the solution of showing a child too much love. It is usually the consequence of giving a child things in place of love; things like liberty, fewer expectations, or even material possessions.
10 Be Patient: It’s tough to be patient when the children test it every day. But good parents have the patience to think and understand the reason behind their child’s behaviour. Taking logical steps to address their problem is the key.